Sunday, August 28, 2005

Toddling

Hi Ava,

During our week vacation apart, you transformed from an almost toddler to a full fledged walking toddler. After eight days of chasing after your two slightly older cousins you walk with wild abandon. Today you even squiggled out of my arms in your haste to get to the ground.

Your Aunt Susi and Uncle John, not to mention cousins Karilyn and Annie taught you a few new tricks which I am finding really useful. You now are capable of saying "eat" (or a close facsimile) when you are hungry. You are also a much better dancer now, and if Fred were still in his dancing shoes, you'd be bumping Ginger right out of the way.

Your Aunt Susi claims you were an absolute angel during your visit and that you knew that you were just visiting while I was off somewhere else. You took a regular nap at 11AM and went to bed every night at 7:30PM. It is really, really nice to know this can happen! Of course, you've fought both the nap and the bedtime since you've arrived at home, and even brought us a surprise gift of pre-two tantrums. You haven't flailed on the ground, but you've done your share of screaming today.

Can I blame the two top incisors that are breaking through? Is that blaming too much on the teething? Or can I just blame it on separation anxiety as we were apart for longer than ever before and perhaps you're just worried that Mamama is going away again.

We went to Holly Park today, you and I, and for the first time you walked rapidly all over the place. I felt so strange and proud at the same time. We've been to Holly Park with our friends and I've watched all of their kids run around, now it's your turn. The monkey scoot has disappeared along with the soft leather shoes. You did get another compliment on your fabulous purple shoes though, from a Mom with a 12 month old girl at the park.

Now, it's 9:23. It only took an hour to get you to sleep, and I say "only" in the most sarcastic of senses after multiple instances of putting you down, letting you scream, picking you up, down, scream, up, down, scream, and finally sleep. I love the idea of a 7:30 bedtime, the execution leaves something to be desired.

Now, it's time for Mamama to go to sleep. If I scream will you come pick me up?

I did miss you, little one, and it's good to be home.

love,
Mamama

No comments: