Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Disaster Diaper *not for the weak stomached*

Today just after I put you down for a nap, you had a complete and total blowout diaper.

Note: if you aren't a parent or haven't spent time around diapers and their contents and are thusly afraid of the contents of diapers, consider yourself warned: you won't want to read this.

You were getting crabby and wanted to play with your lunch rather than eat it, and it was naptime anyway, so I grabbed a binky and we went into your room.

I put you down on the floor so you could climb into your toddler bed, which you did, and you put your head down and I left the room so I could finish making brownies for Daddy for V-day.

You were really quiet, so quiet that I wondered if you'd (shockingly) fallen asleep. Nope, you were sitting up in bed playing with your moose. Fine, as long as you're quiet, I told myself, you can stay right where you are.

About five minutes later I heard one of the many noise-making toys in your room playing Baa, Baa Black Sheep.

I walk in, armed with a sense of humor, and said: "Busted!"

You were standing in front of your bed, but my nose was assaulted by not-a-good smell. I saw on the edge of your comforter something brown that wasn't there earlier.

Oh no.

This is the part where those with a weak constitution or digestive system should stop reading. Really.

I put you on your changing table, surprised that I didn't see anything on the back of your pants. Oh no - it came out the FRONT! Part liquid part solid, I hadn't seen a diaper that bad since the days of breast milk yellow mustard poop (which I never understood - breast milk isn't yellow).

The poop had exceeded the limits of the diaper. To make this briefer, let's just say I used seven wipes and still stripped you down to naked plus a binky and washed you off in the bathtub standing up next to the water faucet. I ended up throwing away the white cotton onesie that was under your sweatsuit. Everything else - your clothes, socks, comforter, pillowcase, changing table cover - they're all in the washer right now covered in spray n' wash.

Now you're in clean clothes, bed stripped down to a clean sheet, new pillowcase, and a blanket. Ten minutes ago when I peeked in you were sitting up with your moose, but now you are laying down fast asleep. I can only imagine you feel so much better.

If you have any doubt that I love you, read this again. Love doesn't look any more real than my willingness to change that disaster diaper.

No comments: