Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Tales of peace, books, dancing, and artichokes

Dear Ava,

Five minutes ago I got up from the couch and put you to bed. I took a while to get up because I was quite comfortably sandwiched between you on my right and Dadada on my left. He was beginning to snore on one side and you on the other. I looked from one peaceful sleeping face to the other, and I didn't just feel what peace looked like, I saw, I knew, intimately, what peace is.

You are such a joy to come home to after working all day. As soon as you hear my voice you start to make noise. You know it's me. When you first see me walk into the room you get a big many-toothed grin across your face and literally jump from the arms that were holding you into mine.

It's a privilege, to be loved so much by you, and to know that I am, right at this moment, your number one.

Aside from that, a couple things you do lately amuse me to no end. I gave you a small purple beaded purse and you've started carrying it around. At first just in your hand, but after a day you started putting it over your shoulder and walking around with it. Your Dadada wanted to put a dollar in your purse but I asked him not to, I didn't want you eating it.

You have also become a bibliophile in the last week. Anytime you are near a book, especially one of yours, you pick it up and hand it to the nearest person to read it to you. Yesterday you handed me "Blue Hat, Green Hat" as I was sitting cross-legged on the floor. I asked you if you were going to sit with me. You turned around and sat in my lap!

Since I've been home, we've read that book again, plus "Goodnight Gorilla," "Goodnight Moon," and "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See." I heard you made your Nana read you "Rainbow Fish" at least four times today.

You are still dancing to every bit of music that plays, whether the tune is a commercial, a CD, or part of a movie. You'll find any excuse to shake that bootie. Today I taught you a new dancing trick, to wave your hands in the air as you swing those hips of yours.

I have also taught you to love artichokes, and the proper method of eating artichoke leaves. You scrape off the edge with your teeth and then sometimes hand it back to me and other times put the whole thing in your mouth. In time, I expect you'll figure out the heart is the best part and I only give you part of it.

Now it's time for Mamama to go to bed. Sweet dreams, my little love.

1 comment:

Vman said...

you probably don't have time to read about politics since you have a kid but for a fresh insight go to www.brownking.blogspot.com thanks.